Saturday, October 4, 2014

It Sure Is Windy Today...

"I thought it was Thursday."  "So am I, let's go get a drink!"
 
Just another one of the witticisms of Jack Girtin.  I completed my first Walk to End Alzheimer's today in his honor.  I thought of him from the moment I got up, as I got ready, throughout the registration process and the wait to begin, throughout the walk, and truly... throughout the day.  It really was very cold and windy, so this joke he so often made was apropos.  Maybe he was up there laughing!

 

Sam was kind enough to take these pictures of the "flower" pinwheel I wrote on and "planted" for Mr. Girtin.


Sam wrote on this one for his Aunt June.

 

The color of your flower depended on your reason for walking.  Purple was the color for those who had lost a loved one to Alzheimer's.


As we started walking, we all raised our flowers.
Our flowers twirling in the wind
As we walked past the first point, we "planted" our flowers.
 
It was beautiful to see them all spinning in the wind.

 
Those who raised at least $100 received a t-shirt.  It doesn't matter that I'm the only one who donated for my walk, does it?

 
The first walk of many, I hope.  Remembering Mr. Girtin with respect, admiration, and love.

No comments: